Do you require assistance in an individual case?
What can NANSEN do for you?
If you are in Belgium or at the border, NANSEN can provide you, your social worker and your lawyer with:
- legal and multidisciplinary advice,
- an analysis of your case,
- a dedicated support to victims of torture
- a dedicated support to stateless persons
- a future intervention at the national and international authorities.
What can NANSEN not do for you?
NANSEN provides assistance only to
- persons in Belgium or at the border
- persons in need of international protection (asylum), including in cases of persons in detention.
NANSEN does not provide assistance in cases concerning family reunification, applications for visas , for regularisations and for the acquisition of the Belgian nationality, etc.
Priority cases for a NANSEN intervention
Persons in a situation of vulnerability
- Victims of torture
- Victims of gender-related violence
- Pregnant women
- Stateless persons or persons at risk of becoming stateless
- Persons who have not yet reached the age of 20
- Persons with a severe mental illness
- Pregnant women
- Victims of human trafficking
Persons belonging to the LGBTI-community
Persons with a protection status in another European country
Persons registered with the UNHCR in another country
Persons with an ongoing Dublin procedure in Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, Hungary or persons having family ties in Belgium
Persons excluded from protection status or whose protection status has been revoked for reasons of public order/national security/return to the country of origin
Person from the following nationalities, as declared by them:
- Ukraine (statless persons, asylum seekers and persons in need of international protection who are not beneficiaries of the temporary protection)
- El Salvador
NANSEN is not a lawfirm and is legally not allowed to represent people in front of the judicial authorities. Please make sure you hire a lawyer to work on your case. NANSEN can support him/her with legal and multidisciplinary advice and, if necessary, intervene in the proceedings.
The person you are assisting falls into a category of NANSEN’s priority situations.
How to submit your request?
1. In case you are seeking legal or multidisciplinary advice:
- Send us a copy of the decision you are challenging
- No decision? Send us a copy of your client’s identity card
2. In case you need an analysis of a particular case and, possibly an intervention at the national and/or international authorities
Send both the questionnaires and the completed + signed NANSEN mandate to email@example.com.
❗️For detained persons
Ask the social worker at the detention centre to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, containing:
- the administrative file
- the completed + signed NANSEN mandate
Then, ask the lawyer to contact NANSEN, by email: email@example.com or by phone: at +32 487 84 65 40.
NANSEN always analyses all the elements of your case.
On that basis, we can decide to:
- intervene in the case: alone or as part of our academic partnership with the Legal Clinics of the University of Antwerp, the UCLouvain, the Université Libre de Bruxelles and the University of Ghent.
- refuse to intervene.
Questions? Feel free to call NANSEN.
Send both documents completed & signed to firstname.lastname@example.org
To enable us to intervene effectively in your situation, it is essential to download and complete two documents. In case of difficulty, ask your lawyer or social worker for help.